[WSBARP] Ethical Question

Jeff Davis jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Thu Oct 8 11:33:00 PDT 2020

Listmate,

Client (the son) is in a dispute with parents over a deal where the parents
allegedly were to transfer real property to him.  Son goes to his lawyer to
draft the agreement but some where in this process the lawyer appeared to
switch sides and represented the parents.  The contract(s) were drafted and
signed.  The terms are not clear.  Lawyer dies and this particular file went
to his daughter.  I located her and had her find that file and send it to
me.  I told opposing counsel (who now represents the parents) what I was
doing.  The only response was if that file contained the parents' estate
planning documents that I could not share them with my client.  There were
no estate planning documents in the file.

The file contained emails from parents to lawyer which are beneficial to our
case.  I know the attorney client privilege survives death.  Can I use the
emails and what ever else is in the file?

Jeff Davis

W. Jeff Davis, Esq.

BELL & DAVIS PLLC
P.O. Box 510
Sequim WA 98382
Phone No.:(360) 683.1129
Fax No.: (360) 683.1258
email:  <mailto:info at bellanddavispllc.com> info at bellanddavispllc.com
 <http://www.bellanddavispllc.com/> www.bellanddavispllc.com

confidential, and protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution, or copying is strictly
prohibited. If you think that you have received this e-mail message in
error, please e-mail the sender at  <mailto:info at bellanddavispllc.com>
info at bellanddavispllc.com  or call 360.683.1129