[WSBARP] Excise tax question with part inheritance part consideration

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Fri Nov 20 09:03:03 PST 2020

I infer from your description that in the minds of the three heirs there is a perhaps unconscious assumption that the $400,000 value can be divided as follows:
$210,000 cash (which is consideration)
$56,666.67 services rendered (which is also consideration)
$133,333.33 inheritance (which is not consideration)

So excise tax would be owing on consideration paid of  $266,666.67

John McCrady
Counsel
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West
University Place WA 98467
253-476-5721
j.mccrady at pstitle.com<mailto:j.mccrady at pstitle.com>
WARNING-FRAUDULENT FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS
Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds.  Please call your escrow officer immediately using contact information found from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify any funding instructions received.  We are not responsible for any wire sent by you to an incorrect bank account.

***Due to the Covid 19 outbreak and with concern for the health and safety of our employees and community; our University Place lobby will remain locked during normal business hours. If you need to make an appointment or have any questions or concerns, please contact us at our main office at 253-474-4747. We appreciate your patience during these uncertain times and look forward to consistently exceeding your expectations.***