[WSBARP] New wrinkle on closings

David Daniel ddaniel at demcolaw.com
Tue Nov 3 16:39:59 PST 2020

This addendum language came out of our office. It came about in response to
a recent notice from King County (a number of weeks back) that recordings
may be delayed by several days or more. We had word that other counties
were experiencing similar issues as well. Given our understanding
that title and casualty insurers are generally willing to insure the gap
period, we came up with this addendum to address the concern of the parties
becoming out of contract if the transaction did not "close" on time.

I appreciate the thoughtful commentary offered by Craig and Kary. Here
would be my thoughts in response:

What if the county rejects the recording and requires one of the parties to
re-sign something and that party now refuses?
I don't think either party would have a basis to refuse, and both parties
would be bound by the duty of good faith and fair dealing to complete the
act of recording. As between Buyer and Seller, the transaction would be
closed as of the "Submission Date" (which is defined earlier in form to be
the date on which the closing docs are submitted to the county for
recording, regardless of whether they are actually recorded that day). As
such the parties would not be out of contract or free to walk away, but
rather would be closed as between the two of them, but with the surviving
need/obligation to record the documents, which essentially would be a
ministerial act at that point, but not one which either party would be
entitled to avoid. I suppose if the seller just disappeared then a court
could be petitioned for an order to complete the recording.

I am concerned about an insurable interest in the event of a casualty.
The Buyer would have an insurable interest due to the change in definition
of "closing", and as paragraph 3 says, both parties should ensure that they
have adequate coverage from the point of closing to the point of recording.

I believe (but do not know for sure) that NWMLS will be addressing this
issue in an upcoming round of forms revisions.

*David C. Daniel*, Attorney

* DEMCO LAW FIRM, P.S.*

*Email |* *ddaniel at demcolaw.com <ddaniel at demcolaw.com>*

5224 Wilson Ave. S., Suite 200