[WSBARP] Residential Lease: Liquidated Damages Question

Kathleen Hopkins khopkins at rp-lawgroup.com
Wed May 6 13:05:28 PDT 2020

Correcting my typo, the tenant should have her "own" counsel.

Kathleen J. Hopkins
Real Property Law Group, PLLC
1326 Fifth Avenue, Suite 654
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone & Fax: (206) 625-0404
Home (please use during COVID-19 lockdown): 425-844-2749
email: khopkins at rp-lawgroup.com
www.rp-lawgroup.com<http://www.rp-lawgroup.com/>

*Licensed in Washington State.

This message is protected by the attorney-client privilege and the work-product doctrine; if you are not the intended recipient of this message please let the sender know you received it in error and please delete this message.  Thank you.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Regulations concerning tax practice, you are advised that this message is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, by anyone for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under any tax laws; or promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

Considering how deviations in tenant protections under from RLLTA must be approved by a lawyer (or the prosecutor's office), if I were landlord's counsel, since this is a residential lease I would require the tenant have her owner counsel and have the tenant specifically sign/initial the clause confirming the requirement to pay the unamortized balance (and use all the magic language about liquidated damages) and the independent counsel sign the lease as "approved as to form."

email: khopkins at rp-lawgroup.com<mailto:khopkins at rp-lawgroup.com>