[WSBARP] Residential Lease: Liquidated Damages Question

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed May 6 09:12:25 PDT 2020

I'm not seeing that breaking the lease early would result in "damages"
related to the new flooring in that presumably the house is worth more
with the new flooring than without.  Conversely, I'm also not seeing
that the schedule you propose deals with the actual harm possibly caused
if the breach is late in the term. Assuming we're not talking about
carpet, the floors should still be in good condition in 10 years, but
what if it's been so damaged it needs to be replaced?  Would this system
prevent any recovery for the landlord if the lease went to term and the
tenant destroyed the floors?

Also, I'm having some "this is so bizarre it must be wrong" alarms going
off.  Seems like a really bad idea from both sides. First, I'd be very
skeptical of any tenant willing to enter into such a contract.  Second,
assuming the property is encumbered, would the landlord face liability
to the tenant in the event of foreclosure?  Third, if there were a
breach would the landlord be able to actually recover for the breach.
Stated differently, are they actually getting anything non-illusory for
tying up their property for 10 years?  Fourth, if this property is in
Seattle are they aware that in 2026 new legislation will provide that
landlords will be tarred and feathered each time they collect rent?

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148