[WSBARP] Why doesn't a buyer get a new three-day rescission period after discovering inaccuracy in the seller's real property disclosure statement?

Rod Harmon rodharmon at msn.com
Tue Mar 31 11:46:41 PDT 2020

Yes, that is what I am getting at.  What are the buyer's remedies if they discover the disclosure statement was inaccurate?  If the discovery is within the three-day window, the buyer can rescind under 64.0, cut and dried.  There ought to be a cut and dried solution even if the discovery is after the three-day window, but there isn't.  You have to get into a mutual mistake analysis, which also involves asking whether there was constructive knowledge or an assumption of risk.  I think the legislature should have left some mechanism in place that did not require going to court in case a disclosure statement inaccuracy was discovered late in the closing process.

Rod Harmon

RODNEY T. HARMON
      Bothell, WA   98041
     Tel:   (425) 402-7800