[WSBARP] Signatures and Notaries in the Age of Covid-19

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Mar 19 15:42:57 PDT 2020

Jim-notary not required technically but still requires people to be present. See RCW 11.125.050<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.125&full=true#11.125.050>:

RCW 11.125.050<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.125.050>
Power of attorney-Requirements.
(1) A power of attorney must be signed and dated by the principal, and the signature must be either acknowledged before a notary public or other individual authorized by law to take acknowledgments, or attested by two or more competent witnesses who are neither home care providers for the principal nor care providers at an adult family home or long-term care facility in which the principal resides, and who are unrelated to the principal or agent by blood, marriage, or state registered domestic partnership, by subscribing their names to the power of attorney, while in the presence of the principal and at the principal's direction or request.
(2) A power of attorney shall be considered signed in accordance with this section if, in the case of a principal who is physically unable to sign his or her name, the principal makes a mark in accordance with RCW 11.12.030<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.12.030>, or in the case of a principal who is physically unable to make a mark, the power of attorney is executed in accordance with RCW 64.08.100<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.08.100>.
(3) A signature on a power of attorney is presumed to be genuine if the principal acknowledges the signature before a notary public or other individual authorized by law to take acknowledgments.
[ 2016 c 209 § 105.<http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2015-16/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/Senate/5635-S.SL.pdf?cite=2016%20c%20209%20%C2%A7%20105.>]

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Note - Attorneys and Staff Working Remotely Due to COVID-19

As we face the quickly changing circumstances presented by COVID-19, our firm wants to update you as to the steps that we are taking at Sayre Law Offices.  Our top priority is the health and safety of our employees, clients, colleagues and friends, and all of their families and communities.

In order to slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus while still serving our clients, our attorneys are working remotely.  During this time, our attorneys are able to make and receive telephone calls; access all of our documents and servers; and access emails and voicemails.  Our Seattle and Vashon offices remain open with limited staffing to maintain critical functions, and to route phone calls, mail, and deliveries.  Our Olympia office is closed.  Attorney/client meetings will be handled by teleconference where able, and signatures for estate planning or real estate transactions/closings will be handled on a case-by-case basis.  Many of the local courts have postponed trials and hearings, or are moving them to telephonic proceedings only.  We are keeping up to date on those court closures and changes, and will advise each client, accordingly.

We will continue to monitor the situation and recommendations from the CDC and state and local health departments and will respond accordingly.  Be assured that we will continue to advise and support our clients throughout this health emergency.