[WSBARP] Tenant improvement payments after termination of lease

Roger Moss ram at pacific-ci.com
Thu Jul 9 12:09:30 PDT 2020

Timothy, if you are looking at a standard commercial lease, the tenant improvements belong to landlord when tenant vacates. There is nothing for your client to lose.

With only 3 months left on the lease, do not expect landlord to give your client a discount. They are leaving early and the remaining rent owed landlord is just part of the expense.

Speaking as a former commercial real estate asset manager, I will offer that doctors frequently are out of touch with the realities of these transactions. There are brokers who specialize in medical office spaces (some specialize in medical specialities which have very different ways of structuring deals and demands for landlord improvements). Your client would benefit from leasing guidance from an expert.

BTW, the standard Starbucks lease contains options to cancel at various points in the initial term. Their standard provision provides for reimbursement to landlord of unamortized tenant improvement expenditures…

If your client has not signed a lease at the other location, perhaps he should renegotiate present deal on better terms.

Good luck.

Roger A. Moss, Esq.
Pacific Conflict Intervention
206.790.1971 Seattle
415.371.9724 San Francisco
www.pacific-ci.com

Confidentiality Notice:
The information in this e-mail (including attachments, if any) is considered privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by reply email, delete this email, and do not disclose its contents to anyone.