[WSBARP] Land trust beneficiary sales

Dwight Bickel dwightbickel at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:58:59 PDT 2020

The creation of such a trust to own real property would be a major and expensive mistake.

First: the creation of a trust owned by the same person [including family] would not be a sale that would trigger due on sale and would be exempt from real estate sales tax.

Second: any transfer of 50% or more of trust beneficiary interest would trigger real estate sales tax. Later, interest and penalties will have to be paid.

Third: any transfer of beneficial interest in the trust not to self or family will trigger due on sale mortgage default rights.

Fourth: no title insurance company will insure the transfer of the beneficial interest in the trust without requiring title clearing deeds from the creator and every person designated as grantor, Trustee or beneficiary.

Fifth: forms often used often hide the beneficiaries from recordings. That will likely lead to a title company requirement for a quiet title decree with actual service upon many people and publication, then a year later to reduce risk of a default being set aside.

Sixth: title companies will add exceptions related to involuntary liens as to every party that was a grantor, trustee or beneficiary.

Seventh: the IRS disregards the device and asserts tax consequences.

Eighth: creditors can set aside conveyances intended to hinder per per 19.40.041.

I would not act as a lawyer for a client who intends a land trust. However, there is a statutory land trust that is registered with the state. I have never seen it used.