[WSBARP] Excise Tax Exemption for married and separated persons transferring property from one to the other

Lawrence F. Brown, Jr. lbrown at brownsterling.com
Sun Feb 16 14:27:43 PST 2020

I see where you’re coming from Eric, and agree with your reasoning, but I still think that the language in Rule 203(1) is pretty straightforward, and when I read through the rest of the rules, I don’t see any exceptions.  The transaction certainly isn’t going to get flagged when the quit claim deed is recorded (albeit there is a 4 year SOL for audit).

If it is is really a concern, you can always get a ruling from the Department of Revenue. You can submit the request online. In my experience it will take 3 to 6 weeks to get a response.