[WSBARP] Landlord Question - Next legislative session

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Thu Dec 17 16:18:44 PST 2020

I agree with Steve.

I also have to say that these additional protections (which I'm going to
call "rights") still don't deal with a large underlying problem -
addiction. As a practitioner of this area, I see that many of my clients
are not interested in evicting tenants for unpaid rent - it's the
underlying conduct that leads to the inability to pay rent that is a large
part of the reason. And these new rights are not going to help those
underlying causes. I'm not speaking just as an attorney here - I have
family members who struggle and so I know from personal experience that
these new rights will only hinder individuals from seeking help. I had a
case earlier this year where the Commissioner essentially held that the
tenant's use of heroin on the Property was not sufficient "significant and
immediate health and safety risk to others" which led to the tenant
completely ceasing to pay rent and now her rent money goes to her habit and
this tenant knows there's nothing the landlord can do to remove her and
other tenants have vacated because her presence makes them feel unsafe (who
can blame them?). So, now she's probably further down the path of no
return. In my opinion, this was helped along by these "sledgehammer"
policies. The new policies are no different - and I think go even further.

These new rights are, in my opinion, going to lead to large corporations
sweeping up the affordable housing when smaller landlords (including me)
sell and exchange their investment for  pastures that ensure we at least
have some control over our property. Then, when the corporations are in
control, the only way to keep housing "affordable" will be rent control.
All of this will lead (in my opinion) to public housing located in some
areas, and owner-occupied properties in other areas. So not only will we
have economic disparity dividing the "haves" and the "have-nots" but we
will have physical distance as well. A problem that I think exists today to
some degree but that the long term effects of these changes will only
exacerbate over time. I hope I'm wrong about that.

I could propose changes to current Moratoria and the proposed legislation
that would help make sure that the good intentions of these policies are
honored, while ensuring that the abuse and overreach are curtailed. But, I
don't think that the legislators are actually hearing from those of us who
understand the functional and practical impact of these policies. Rather,
they seem to just want to appease the relevant voter base with laws that
look shiny and blue. So, I would just be screaming into the wind.

The good news for me is that all the new law changes and complicated
eviction hurdles is essentially ensuring this portion of my practice will
have plenty of work for the foreseeable future.

Kaitlyn

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 3:31 PM Eric Nelsen <eric at sayrelawoffices.com>
wrote:

> Steve—Nicely put, and succinct. The current proclamation extends well
> beyond the goal. And that is a problem.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Eric
>

> Eric C. Nelsen
>
> Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
>
> 1417 31st Ave South
>
> Seattle WA 98144-3909
>
> 206-625-0092
>
> eric at sayrelawoffices.com
>

> *Covid-19 Update - *All attorneys are working remotely during regular
> business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing
> also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed
> and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and
> deliveries to the Seattle office.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson | Attorney| DIMENSION LAW GROUP PLLC
130 Andover Park East, Suite 300 | Tukwila, WA 98188
t: *206.973.3500 *| f: *206.577.5090*| e: *kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com*|
www.dimensionlaw.com

Covid-19 Update - Dimension Law Group remains available to serve our
clients and the public during this time, subject to the orders and
recommendations of government authority.

All attorneys and staff are working remotely regular business hours and are
available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. We
will continue to advise and support our clients throughout this health
emergency.

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.