[WSBARP] When is closing?

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Tue Dec 1 16:30:06 PST 2020

Rich,

It seems that S and B have a binding contract in which B agreed to accept the property AS-IS.  There may also be a clause that required S to maintain the property in its current condition until closing.  The standard Form 21 RREPSA contains the following language at paragraph f, Closing and Possession:

[cid:image001.png at 01D6C7FF.38C1C820]

There could be an argument over whether a weather event constitutes “normal wear and tear,” but if this language was included in the PSA, S may have an obligation to return the property to the condition it was in when the parties reached a mutual agreement.  Absent that language, or if the PSA is clear that the property is being sold AS-IS no matter what the conditions (which could change between mutual acceptance and closing), I don’t believe S would. Have any obligation to perform repairs.

I don’t believe that the fact the transaction did not close on Day 1 (absent any fault on the party of S or B) provides sufficient grounds for rescission or to void the transaction.  If the transaction failed to close due to the negligence of S or B (i.e., one of the parties signed late), then my analysis would change.  Assuming all docs were signed and ready to record on Day 1, I believe the title company may have some liability for its role in failing to record the documents on the instructed date.

My two cents, for whatever it’s worth.

Best regards,

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.