[WSBARP] Yet another County recording issue

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Fri Aug 21 13:02:52 PDT 2020

Actually the RCW you cited, subpart c, has some rather specific language
regarding the issue.

"The auditor may not accept an instrument of conveyance regarding
classified land for filing or recording unless the new owner has signed
the notice of continuance or the additional tax, applicable interest,
and penalty has been paid, as evidenced by the real estate excise tax
stamp affixed thereto by the treasurer."

And the prior sentence is of interest too:  "If the notice of
continuance is not signed by the new owner and attached to the real
estate excise tax affidavit, all additional taxes, applicable interest,
and penalty calculated pursuant to subsection (4) of this section become
due and payable by the seller or transferor at time of sale."

Interesting issue as to foreclosures.  The only similar issue I've run
into is Tukwila had a LID for sewer lines which required connection to
sewer on the first sale, and they considered a foreclosure sale where
the creditor bought to be the first sale.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148