[WSBARP] Yet another County recording issue

Jeanne Dawes jjdawes at goregrewe.com
Fri Aug 21 09:49:30 PDT 2020

In Spokane County, the auditor will not record a deed for property that is in open space unless the assessor has either approved a continuance of the open space (which is applied for by the buyer), or the property is pulled from open space and the compensating tax paid.  The parties need to agree as to who pays the compensating tax, if the exemption is being terminated.  It's not always the seller.  If the buyer is going to discontinue the use for which the open space exemption is granted, it may be the buyer to pays the compensating tax.  I believe there is a WAC regulation applicable to all counties.  Don't have the cite off the top of my head.

Jeanne

Jeanne J. Dawes
Attorney at Law
Gore & Grewe, P.S.