[WSBARP] Seattle Ordinance 126116 (Commercial Lease Enforcement)

Gabriel Dietz gabrieldietz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 15:09:38 PDT 2020

Colleagues:

I would appreciate a discussion, and any insights, with respect to Seattle
Ordinance 126116 (linked here
<https://seattle.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4590650&GUID=D9CC697B-125B-4F96-89BE-16DBCF967382>)
regarding prohibition of enforcement of commercial leases.

My questions include, among others:

This appears to be a blanket prohibition against enforcement of rent and
triple net charges against tenants and guarantors for small businesses. Do
you read this any different way?

Do you read any time limits in Subsection 2(B) on page 5?

Do you have any thoughts on the takings clause and contracts clause
arguments as applied to this rule?

Any other thoughts or comments regarding the effect this rule will have on
landlords and tenants are appreciated.

Thank you,
Gabe Dietz

Gabriel A. Dietz
Partner
(206) 451-3859

*gabe at hdpnw.com <gabe at hdpnw.com>*

*www.hdpnw.com <http://www.hdpnw.com/>*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, including any attachments,
contains privileged or confidential information intended for a specific
individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this communication and shred the
materials and any attachments. You are hereby notified that any use,
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication, or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents of this information, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
immediately notify me by email or telephone.