[WSBARP] REET Supp. Excise tax statement can't be signed by P of A?

jbdolan at jbdolan.com jbdolan at jbdolan.com
Wed Aug 5 14:14:37 PDT 2020

Skagit County has the same policy - an agent can sign a REETA but the Treasurer’s office requires the Grantor and Grantee to sign the Gift Supplement.  If the underlying POA gives the AIF/Agent authority to convey real property and the authority to make gifts, your client should be able to sign the Gift Supplement, IMHO, because, um, that’s what a POA is for.  In my situation, the Grantor was available and competent to sign, so I went and got her signature. (Sometimes it is easier to just lay on the floor of the cage and take the shocks.)  If she had not been capable of signing, I guess I would have had to duke it out at the Treasurer’s office.  If your Grantor is no longer able to sign, perhaps trying speaking with someone in the excise department at DOR in Olympia would help?

Jim Dolan

===================

Jones Butler Dolan, PS

 <http://www.jbdolan.com> www.jbdolan.com