[WSBARP] REET Supp. Excise tax statement can't be signed by P of A?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Aug 5 12:06:58 PDT 2020

Weird and unlikely. Sounds like snafu at the treasurer's office.

The two-checks thing is normal, but confirm who the payees are supposed to be. Some counties will take a combined check to the Auditor/Recorder, and others want the recording fee payable to the Auditor/Recorder and the $10 on the REETA to the Treasurer. But I can never remember which counties allow a combined check, so I usually end up sending two.

Except for King County, which I do remember will take a combined check to the Auditor (at least when the REETA is exempt and it's just a $10 minimum charge) and the Auditor must divvy up the money with the Treasurer afterward. If I'm actually paying excise tax, I make it two checks even for King County.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.