[WSBARP] easement issue

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Wed Apr 29 10:39:36 PDT 2020

Bryce, this is all I have - unreported, no Wa cite:

Unlike Beebe, the language accompanying the 'subject to' references in the
Jubie 2nd Plat does not indicate any intent to reserve or create an
easement. Potts has cited no authority suggesting that a mere 'subject to'
reference to a recorded document is sufficient to create an express easement
or resurrect an otherwise invalid easement. See von Meding v. Strahl, 319
Mich. 598, 30 N.W.2d 363, 369 (1948) ('subject to all easements' in a
conveyance means 'subject to all valid easements') (emphasis in original).
In Radovich v. Nuzhat, 104 Wn.App. 800, 16 P.3d 687 (2001), this court
recently held that an easement previously extinguished by merger of the
servient and dominant estates had been 'expressly recreated' by a subsequent
conveyance that 'clearly stated that it conveyed an easement, stated the
purpose and scope of the easement, and gave a legal description of the
servient estate.' Radovich, 104 Wn.App. at 806. The Jubie 2nd Plat contained
no comparable language. In summary, nothing on the face of the Jubie 2nd
Plat evidences an intent to grant an express easement. Accordingly, the
trial court properly entered summary judgment dismissing Potts' claim of an
express easement.

Potts v. Duane Smith, 113 Wash. App. 1051 (2002)

General thoughts -

Has it been ten years? Prescription under these circumstances is pretty
likely. Presumption of permissive use overcome by adverse acts and
assertions.

Any workarounds? can the corporation ratify the signatures now? Restatement
Agency has a bunch of stuff about this.

Does grant of easement include any warranties? Leverage for corporation to
fix this? Was there a title guarantee, leverage for the title company to fix
it?

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss

Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP

236 West Birch Street

Shelton, WA 98584

360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com

rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure
under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified
that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by
reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above)
and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.
Thank you.