[WSBARP] Building Insurance on Townhome Unit Lot Subdivisions

Randy Boyer randyedlynlaw at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 10:53:16 PDT 2019

Listmates

RCW 64.90.470 requires property insurance by the Owners Association on buildings that are attached to adjoining units.  There is no distinction between condominiums and subdivisions.  I am finding that numerous developers feel that this provision does not apply to unit lot subdivisions.  They are not having a master policy on the building but allowing individual unit owners to have their own property insurance on the townhome units.  I am told that attorneys feel that is allowed under RCW 64.90.470.  I do not read the statute that way.

I have a client that says if they include the cost of a master policy the unit dues are substantially higher than nearby developments that do not carry a master policy.  That will impact the sales of the units given the higher dues.  Of course the Unit owner is going to pay for their own insurance if not paid by the Association but buyers and lenders look at the dues.

Is my interpretation of RCW 64.90.470 incorrect?

Randy
Randy M. Boyer                                                 ______
Attorney, WSBA# 8665
Law Office of Randy M. Boyer, Inc. P.S.
7017 196th St. S.W.  Lynnwood, Washington 98036
( 425.712.3107|   Fax 425.778.2274
mail to: randyedlynlaw at gmail.com <mailto:randyedlynlaw at gmail.com>
This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. Sections 2510-2521, and is legally privileged.  This email was sent by an attorney or his agent, is intended only for the addressee’s use, and may contain confidential and privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, reproduction or other use of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender by reply email.  Thank you for your cooperation.