[WSBARP] Referral to Help Franchisee Client

Matt Yates matt at englishandmarshall.com
Wed Sep 18 13:44:09 PDT 2019

Listmates:

Potential Client is disputing amounts owed under a franchise agreement with a franchise headquartered in Toronto, Canada.  Franchise had previously been functioning well but then went public and client has since seen regional advertising disappear despite still paying the fees for it.  Additionally, client has indicated that HQ has required client to purchase certain ingredients from certain suppliers despite obvious indications of inability to meet the supply for the ingredients.  Thus, client has decided to sell locations and HQ/Franchisor otherwise appeared to be okay with the transfer but then denied approval at the last minute stating that Client still owed the balance of disputed funds.  Client does not think he should have to pay for something HQ/franchisor was not providing.  Sounds like a breach of franchise agreement claim but I presume that RCW 19.100 and caselaw will influence.  Would like to get client to someone better equipped to assist since this is client's primary income.  Any referrals?   I did already try to refer client to Bundy Law Firm because of the Papa Murphy's cases but thought I would check to see if anyone else has a similar practice.

Matthew D. Yates
Attorney at Law
Yates Marshall, PLLC
10000 NE 7th Avenue, Suite 200