[WSBARP] TIC or JTWROS?

Nancy Lee nancy at nancyleelaw.comcastbiz.net
Thu Sep 12 16:22:31 PDT 2019

An interesting twist to the analysis from the perspective of Medicaid Long Term Care Planning and the use of Spousal Testamentary Supplemental Needs Trusts to preserve marital assets and eligibility for the Medicaid LTC (not saying that was the intent in your case, Mark):  Many practitioners will embed these special types of trusts into each spouse's will, notwithstanding that there is no indication for a need for the Medicaid in the foreseeable future.  In order to avoid the potentially unintended consequence of a perfectly healthy surviving spouse now having half of the marital estate out of his/her control, and possibly under the control of an unwanted and controlling trustee - for this type of trust to work, spouse cannot be trustee -  (remember Eugster?) - some folks add a "trigger" clause in the will, which basically states only put my share of the estate in trust for my spouse if (I'm paraphrasing here) he/she is receiving LTC or intends to apply for it.  DSHS has said that the trigger will only work if the surviving spouse is not the PR of deceased spouse's will and is not trustee of the trust - thus, still no control over the decision or potentially loss of control over half the assets.  This is because DSHS will otherwise treat it as the well spouse "disclaiming" it (gifting penalty to irrevocable trust if found to be disclaimed - and trust would not be able to be for his/her benefit under that circumstance).  I do not embed those trusts automatically - I evaluate the timing for the trust; and the timely use of a Separate Property Agreement (as opposed to a community property agreement) which waives the grantor spouse's right to administer any community property share - and disclaiming any community interest in property in favor of grantee spouse as his/her separate property (no gifting penalty between spouses) - which also conveys title as the separate property to the well spouse (no estate recovery).  I'm just ruminating here on the importance once again of the Separate Property Agreement in conjunction with the long term care planning and the prudent timing of, or at least well-informed client, regarding the timing of the testamentary supplemental needs trust and control.

With the email string below, I don't know if that was the intent or not, and I concur wholeheartedly regarding the LOPA and also the presumption that conveyance to h/w on a deed is default characterized as community property unless specifically stated as TIC.  (In re Salvini's Estate.  This is also referenced in the WAPRAC series section 1.28).

Regards,
Nancy Lee

Nancy J. Lee
Attorney at Law