[WSBARP] Deed of trust and foreclosure

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Nov 26 15:13:00 PST 2019

Actually, I haven't run into this issue either. But in concept I agree that PC still owes the money, though it is now an unsecured debt. My reasoning is: The Agreement is a contract and money owed under its terms enforceable regardless of whether or not PC gave a security interest in property to the lender as well. The lender could sue and get a money judgment against PC, then garnish bank accounts, etc.

If the equity lender had been the one to foreclose and take the property, that likely would have wiped out their ability to collect, since they probably would have been prohibited from getting a deficiency judgment. But because the equity lender's junior lien was simply extinguished as a result of the senior lender's foreclosure, I am pretty sure the equity lender debt is still valid and enforceable.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC