[WSBARP] Washington State Estate Tax

Rick Hoss rhoss at hctc.com
Tue Nov 26 09:51:13 PST 2019

Article 2. Estate to Husband; Possible Trust for Husband.

2.1 Estate to Husband. If my husband survives me then I give him the residue of my estate.

2.2 Possible Disclaimer Trust. Provided, however, that if my husband disclaims all or any portion of my estate to be distributed to him, such disclaimed property shall be distributed to the Disclaimer Credit Trust to be held and administered as provided below in the section titled “Terms of Disclaimer Credit Trust.”

Article 10. Terms of Disclaimer Credit Trust.

If my husband elects to disclaim his right to receive outright ownership of certain assets of my estate including my half interest in any community property assets, then such property disclaimed by him shall be held in this Disclaimer Credit Trust and shall be administered as follows:

10.1   Husband as Trustee; Alternate Trustee.

10.2 Succession

10.3 Income to Husband

10.4 Principal for Support.  If the net income is not adequate for my husband’s maintenance, education, support , and health, then the Trustee is authorized to distribute such portions of the principal of the trust estate as the Trustee in his sole discretion determines reasonable for such purposes.  (So the surviving spouse is trustee and decides whether to invade the principal. The survivor won’t want to invade if that puts them over the exemption equivalent.)

10.5 Distribution Upon Death of Husband.

10.6 Possible Washington Marital Trust. I direct that the trustee may select certain assets to be further designated as also being held in a Washington State Marital Trust. The Trustee may reform this Trust as necessary for those selected assets to qualify for the marital deduction from the Washington estate tax and to elect such deduction to reduce or eliminate the Washington estate tax, in the reasonable discretion of the Trustee.

10.7 Trustee Powers and Duties.

The reason for using this approach is to maintain the flexibility for the surviving spouse to decide at the time for the first spouse to die whether to take the deceased spouse’s estate free of trust. Common for assets and exemptions to be very different from when the will was drafted. So this goes in both spouses wills, but the trust won’t be established until if and when it is needed. Disclaimers require the surviving spouse exercise no control over the funds and the declaimer be formalized no later than 9 months of first to die. There is a disclaimer statute.