[WSBARP] Washington State Estate Tax

Rick Hoss rhoss at hctc.com
Mon Nov 25 16:14:03 PST 2019

A Disclaimer Credit Trust works for your situation. Upon the first to die, the surviving spouse elects whether to disclaim a portion of the first to die’s estate to the Credit Trust. Often amounts over $2,193,000, but much to consider at that time. Disclaimed funds go into the Credit Trust. With no disclaimer there is no Credit Trust and the survivor receives those funds outright. The Credit Trust appoints the surviving spouse as trustee, and distributes the funds upon the survivor’s death to the first to die’s heirs. This is a simple, flexible way to take advantage of the first to die’s unified credit – so their collective estates receive two $2,193,000 exemptions. If you leave all to the surviving spouse they will lose the first to die’s credit exemption.