[WSBARP] Washington State Estate Tax

Jim Doran jim at doranlegal.com
Mon Nov 25 13:16:21 PST 2019

Dear Estate Attorneys:

Generally I do not have clients with an estate over $2.193 million.  Now I
do.

I am preparing Wills for both spouses.  They want me to do something in the
Will so that at the time of death of the second spouse there is a method
that will give the Personal Representative the opportunity to put funds
into a trust of some sort in order to avoid the estate tax.

Does this transfer to a trust have to be done before the death of the
second spouse?  (I think so.)  Or can it be done like a "Testamentary
Trust, to occur upon the death.

What is the simplest way to do this?  (I am willing to learn.....)

They do not want to gift very much to their not so responsible children.

Jim Doran

James R. Doran
Attorney at Law
100 E. Pine Street -  Suite 205