[WSBARP] Real Estate Question - Commercial Tenant Desires to Rent Extra Space for Use that May Include Air BnB

Roger Moss ram at pacific-ci.com
Thu Jun 27 20:17:22 PDT 2019

Matt, your question can’t be adequately addressed without context about the landscape, meaning how client’s property fits into it, and the interrelation of other properties and occupants. Using the lingo of retail real estate, yours is a question about use and merchandise mix.

Introducing AirBnb to a neighborhood or community unprepared for it can have explosive results, including legal claims for nuisance. If an HOA is involved, take care.

So I recommend your client start by literally looking at things from some altitude. An aerial photo.

If there’s no neighbor or neighborhood issues of concern, it’s probably okay to permit the, provided the lease has a laundry list of regulations and restrictions, and perhaps a landlord cancelation provision (actually, make that definitely). I highly recommend against providing tenant an option for this use. Either deal with it up front, or make them ask later. That thinking also springs from experience leasing complex retail properties.

I also always recommend a mediation provision be provided in the new lease. Not arbitration; just mediation.

Roger A. Moss
Pacific Conflict Intervention
415.371.9724 San Francisco
206.790.1971 Seattle