[WSBARP] [REALPROP] Condo dues lien versus Statute of Limitations

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 15:26:32 PDT 2019

I agree and read it to mean the same.

Setareh

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 10:54 AM Carmen Rowe <carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com>
wrote:

> Eric -
>
> My two cents, is a reading of the statutes as a whole (per statutory
> interpretation rules) the "all" dues necessarily incorporates only all*
> validly existing* dues.
>
> I think that consistent both with intent (which was clearly to limit
> exposure to past dues if association just sat on their rights), and
> rational thinking - you can't have liability for an invalid debt.
>

> Carmen Rowe, Attorney/Owner
>

> Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
> Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com
>
> *Mailing address: *1673 S. Market Blvd. #202, Chehalis, WA 98532
> *Olympia/Lacey office: *1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503
> *Seattle office: *1001 4th Avenue, Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98154
>

> *We also offer virtual meeting options, and are often available to meet
> with you in an alternate location convenient to you.*
>
> *Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you
> receive this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and
> disregard any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in
> not sharing this email with anyone.
>
> If we are communicating with you regarding a debt or monies owed, THIS MAY
> BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, AND ANY INFORMATION WILL BE USED FOR THAT
> PURPOSE. You have the right to seek legal advice from an attorney. To the
> extent that the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies, this
> firm is acting as a debt collector for the firm's client named above. Any
> information obtained will be used for collection purposes.
>

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
> [REALPROP] <REALPROP at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
>

>> Looking for confirmation here that I'm right, or else a stern rebuke for
>> wishful thinking.
>>

>> Property has about 8 years of back condo dues unpaid.
>>

>> Condo is organized under the Horizontal Property Regimes Act--the old
>> one. Per RCW 64.34.010(1)
>> <https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.34&full=true#64.34.010>,
>> the lien provisions of the 1990 Act, RCW 64.34.364
>> <https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=64.34&full=true#64.34.364>,
>> apply to this condo.
>>

>> RCW 64.34.364 has a 3-year statute of limitations on back dues:
>>

>> (8) A lien for unpaid assessments and the personal liability for payment
>> of assessments is extinguished unless proceedings to enforce the lien or
>> collect the debt are instituted within *three years* after the amount of
>> the assessments sought to be recovered becomes due.
>>

>> But it also has this, which says "all" unpaid dues:
>>

>> (12) ....*In a voluntary conveyance*, the grantee of a unit shall be
>> jointly and severally liable with the grantor for *all* unpaid
>> assessments against the grantor up to the time of the grantor's
>> conveyance....
>>

>> In this context, "all" just means the most recent three years of dues,
>> because collection of the older dues is barred by statute of limitations,
> [...]

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible)*

*Email: SM at LawOfficesofSM.com*

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.