[WSBARP] Probate and squatters

Flatt, Danielle F. Flatt at ryanlaw.com
Tue Jun 25 15:08:38 PDT 2019

RCW 9A.52.105 & .115 were enacted in 2017 to deal with the true squatter situation (e.g., someone has broken into the premises) not a person who is just living there without paying rent or once had permission from the owner.

The person seeking to remove the squatter needs to make a sworn declaration that the people occupying the premises have never had permission to be there.

Some jurisdictions are more cautious than others to use it.  Note that the statute creates a right of action against the declarant by the persons removed from the premises, as well as the obligation to indemnify law enforcement for their actions.

Danielle F. Flatt
Attorney
Ryan, Swanson & Cleveland, PLLC
1201 Third Avenue, Suite 3400 | Seattle WA 98101-3034
Direct 206.654.2273 | Fax 206.652.2979
flatt at ryanlaw.com<mailto:flatt at ryanlaw.com> | www.ryanswansonlaw.com<https://www.ryanswansonlaw.com>

[Ryan Swanson and Cleveland Logo]