[WSBARP] rental agreement for camper on residential property

Eric Lanza eric at buzzardlaw.com
Wed Jun 12 15:08:34 PDT 2019

MHLTA only applies if the property is held out for rent for the placement of two or more mobile homes or park model trailers.

As long as there is only one lot being rented, I wouldn't expect MHLTA to kick in. If there is a second lot, be careful---that could implicate MHLTA.

Even though we are talking about a camper/RV, the Court of Appeals (Div. II) considers RVs to be Park Model Trailers for the purposes of MHLTA under certain circumstances (see recent case at 6 Wn. App. 2d 349).

I believe that the ordinary RLTA would apply.

It would be prudent to double check local ordinances and zoning regulations to see if any other restrictions imposed on these types of arrangements.

Eric J. Lanza, J.D.