[WSBARP] will language interpretation

Doris Eslinger doris at eslingerlawoffice.com
Tue Jul 9 10:37:30 PDT 2019

Look at RCW 11.12.120 also.  If “the survivors of them” is a condition of survivorship (in my opinion, it is), then RCW 11.12.121 (1) says the gift lapses and falls into the residue.   In my earlier reply, I said I often draft “I give $____ to A and B, or the survivor of them.” In such cases, I also follow it with “If neither of them survives me, this gift shall lapse” to ensure the anti-lapse statute doesn’t come in to save the gift if that’s my client’s intent.

RCW 11.12.120<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.12.120>
Lapsed gift—Procedure and proof.

  1.  If a will makes a gift to a person on the condition that the person survive the testator and the person does not survive the testator, then, unless otherwise provided, the gift lapses and falls into the residue of the estate to be distributed under the residuary clause of the will, if any, but otherwise according to the laws of descent and distribution.

Regards,

Doris Eslinger
Eslinger Law Office
(425) 451-3237

This message is intended only for the addressee.  The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and protected by the attorney-client or attorney work product privileges.  Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, disclosure or use of such information is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by return e-mail or you may call our office at (425) 451-3237. Nothing in this message should be interpreted as a digital or electronic signature that can be used to authenticate a contract or other legal document.