[WSBARP] SWD and "Integration" or "Merger"

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Jan 24 15:14:10 PST 2019

I don't have the cite on hand and I remember having trouble locating the cases because the term "merger" brings up a lot of irrelevant stuff. Even "merger" near "deed" doesn't work because that is usually about merger of legal and equitable title, or merger of an easement and fee title, or something like that.

I seem to remember that this particular application of the term "merger" rests more or less on a sense that terms in a PSA relating to quality of title or conditions on title must be included in the deed. Upon performance of the promise to convey title, related promises in the PSA that affect the conveyance and condition of title "merge" into the performative acts of drafting, executing, and delivering the deed. The Seller performs, and the Buyer accepts the deed, and variations in the deed from what the PSA strictly required are deemed to have been accepted by both parties.

I think at least some of the cases talked about "variation" in performance from the terms of the PSA.

I also think of it as a specific context of the rule that a deed is presumed to convey fee simple title and restrictions against that must be express. I think that rule has its own line of cases separate from the "merger" references.

The reversion of title that you are talking about really sounds like something that would have to be in the deed to be enforceable.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC