[WSBARP] Limiting listserv access to RPPT Members

Annie Fitzsimmons atfitz at comcast.net
Wed Feb 13 16:44:20 PST 2019

Dear RPPT Listserv members,

You may recall a discussion last month regarding placing access to the RPPT listserv behind a member pay wall. The RPPT Executive Committee considered the issue over several months and voted, last fall, to limit listserv access to section members only. The goal of this move was to make access to the listserv slightly more burdensome than merely signing up for the listserv. As it stands now, anybody can join the listserv and participate in discussions or simply monitor conversation. Many section members were unaware that non-lawyers participated in the listserv and failed to appreciate the potential for liability created in that environment where ideas, strategies and what a non-lawyer may perceive as "legal advice" is shared freely.

Following the announcement that access to the listserv would be placed behind the membership pay wall, there was concern expressed by some of our retired and soon-to-retire members. Discussion ensued over the $25 section membership fee and the fact that retired members were unlikely to pay the fee and join the listserv. The effect of that would be to disadvantage active practitioners who would otherwise benefit from the wisdom and experience of our retired practitioners.

Taking the concerns seriously, the RPPT Executive Committee delayed implementation of the new policy so that the executive committee could consider alternatives and discuss the expressed concerns at our meeting last Friday (February 8). Our webmaster was tasked with providing as many alternatives as possible that would allow listserv access to be restricted to RPPT members only AND former (retired) members of RPPT. Every alternative hit the same roadblock. The RPPT has no access to WSBA records and thus, no way of auto populating the listserv with emeritus members. Any effort in this regard would require manual investigation into the former membership status of the applicant and manual addition of each emeritus member to the listserv … every year. The executive committee concluded, again, that the relatively small membership fee of $25 is a reasonable burden to impose on folks who want to participate in the RPPT listservs. Again, anybody can join RPPT. There is no requirement that a section member be a WSBA member. The policy will not restrict listserv access only to practicing lawyers. But, the requirement to register as a section member and pay a $25 section fee may have the desired effect of fostering communication amongst practitioners in our specialty area while also potentially limiting access and participation by parties who are not participating with those goals in mind. Hopefully, it won't discourage our emeritus members from continuing to participate in listserv conversation.

Listserv access will be moved behind the member pay wall on March 1. At that point, you may have to re-subscribe to the listserv.

Thank you!

Annie Fitzsimmons
RPPT Chair

Annette T. Fitzsimmons P.S.