[WSBARP] Liability of seller who agrees to repair and repair fails

Andrew Hay andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net
Sat Aug 31 11:43:06 PDT 2019

Thanks Marc and Kary

Well my first impressions was  -- sure the contract should apply -- so seller should be liable.  But I have seen merger kill some cases.

Looks like there are exceptions to merger stemming from Black v Evergreen Land Developers

The doctrine of merger is founded on the parties' privilege to change the terms of their contract at any time prior to performance. Execution, delivery, and acceptance of the deed becomes the final expression of the parties' contract and therefore subsumes all prior agreements. Snyder v. Roberts, 45 Wash.2d 865, 871, 278 P.2d 348 (1955). In general, the provisions of a real estate purchase and sales agreement merge into the deed, although there may be exceptions to this rule when there are collateral contract requirements that are not contained in or performed [75 Wn.App. 252] by the execution and delivery of the deed, are not inconsistent with the deed, and are independent of the obligation to convey.
Black v. Evergreen Land Developers, Inc., 75 Wash.2d 241, 248, 450 P.2d 470 (1969).

It seems like the repair obligation meets the exception requirements.

Morgan v. Stokely-Van Camp, Inc., 34 Wash.App. 801, 808, 663 P.2d 1384 (1983) and 22 Wn.App. 122, BAN-CO INVESTMENT CO. v LOVELESS give some helpful though not powerfully analogous circumstances suggesting the repair clause would survive.

Nothing directly on point from my search, however.

Andrew Hay
Hay & Swann PLLC
201 S. 34th St.
Tacoma, WA 98418
www.washingtonlaw.net<http://www.washingtonlaw.net/>
andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net<mailto:andrewhay at washingtonlaw.net>
253.272.2400 (w)
253.377.3085 (c)
THIS IS A CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION AND IS INTENDED FOR THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT ONLY.  IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE NOTIFY THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY AND DESTROY ALL COPIES