[WSBARP] Excise tax NWMLS Form

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Aug 14 09:48:53 PDT 2019

I'm not sure why neither 21 or 28 mention REET, but they don't. And
other than FIRPTA, the forms also don't mention who has to pay the
seller's income tax either!  I would agree that RCW 82.45.080 controls.

But beyond that, while it is possible to contractually shift the burden,
it is not typically in the seller's interest to do that in SFR
transactions.  It would limit the buyer pool because you would
effectively require that the buyers have 1.78% more in down payment than
whatever their lender program requires.

Also, it's not like a buyer who is willing to offer $700,000 for a house
is going to be willing to offer $712,460 just because the seller wants
them to pay REET.  Instead they will likely only offer $687,757.91,
assuming math skills, or $687,540 if their math skills are lacking.

Finally, whenever this topic comes up I usually mention that I've only
seen a couple of sellers require the buyer pay REET, and those have been
small time bank entities on their REO transactions.  I then mention that
banks are hardly smart entities when it comes to selling property and
getting the highest dollar amount.  ;-)

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott, Inc.
206 723-2148