[WSBARP] Cutting Off Water OK?

scott at scottgthomaslaw.com scott at scottgthomaslaw.com
Wed Apr 24 19:48:06 PDT 2019

There was a 60 minutes episode many years ago about a small city in the Midwest that cut off water for an unpaid bill.  The town clerk was interviewed and justified cutting off the water because the father in the family was known to buy a 6 pack of cheap beer on the way home from work on payday (small town so everyone knows each other).  The reason their water bill was so high was because one of the children in the family had a lung disorder that required a machine, which used a large volume of water to work.  Child died when water was cut off.  The portrayal of the town, and especially the town clerk, was not generous.  Actually, the episode was one of the things I thought about when I was applying to law school.  Probably not what you wanted to hear.