[WSBARP] Probate-Conflict of Interest ?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Apr 15 11:45:31 PDT 2019

Do the beneficiaries even need representation? The beneficiaries are not parties to the WD claim; the only plaintiff is the PR, who pursues the case for the benefit of the statutory beneficiaries.

Is the PR also a beneficiary? If the PR is also a beneficiary and a lump-sum settlement is made with defendant, then there will be a concern about how to allocate the settlement proceeds among the beneficiaries. If conflict of interest is to be waived, I think it would need to include a binding agreement among the parties that the settlement proceeds will be split in a specific agreed percentage. Otherwise you will run into a circumstance where the beneficiaries will be in conflict concerning how much of the final settlement each should get.

If the PR is not a beneficiary, then maybe there is little opportunity for conflict at all. The PR has no ability to take any of the proceeds for her/himself.

But either way, you may not want to represent the beneficiaries, because your main duty is to make sure the PR competently pursues the case. One conflict that could come up is a claim by the beneficiaries of breach of fiduciary duty by the PR.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC