[WSBARP] BPA Power line easement question

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Mon Sep 10 09:39:39 PDT 2018

Good morning colleagues:

A question came up this weekend for a family member:

Can an encroachment onto a power line easement be 'grandfathered' in or be recognized by adverse possession type rights?

The basic facts:

BPA has an easement for their power lines across family members' land.

A structure on the land encroaches no more than 10 ft at its deepest level of encroachment, and, much less along a portion of the boundary line of the easement. (In effect, the structure's corner encroaches as a triangle, with diminishing depth from the 10 ft apex.)

The structure has been there for a minimum of 56 years! (It may have been there when the easement was granted.)

BPA recently hired a consultant to survey easements across the county. The survey consultant sent a notice requiring removal to family members, which would entail a significant amount of work.

Thus, my question. Family members are not able to get into a significant amount of litigation over this issue, so I am hopeful there is an easy solution.

Thank you for your input.

Best,

Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan