[WSBARP] Development Permitting by Buyer Prior to a Closing Date

Mark Funke mark at funkelaw.com
Thu Sep 6 14:57:58 PDT 2018

James:

Some ideas for you:

1) only buyer to sign financial responsibility form (for example, such form is required in City of Seattle);
2) no earnest money released (in the event deal dies) unless proof is provided that all permitting fees were paid;
3) restrict rezone; change of use; agreements affecting title.. etc. create a list of what they can’t do - in some instances this may be very important, for example land in an agricultural restriction that buyer wants to develop;
4) indemnity from buyer
5) if the permits have value to Seller, then in the event deal dies Buyer to assign all rights in them to Seller (same with Buyer’s due diligence materials, surveys, architectural drawings etc.)

Be careful about linking the closing date to obtaining permits.. it’s not unheard of for developers to simply fail to pay their final permit fees and thereby intentionally delay issuance of the permit or take other inaction to throttle the process. Always include a drop-dead date for closing.

Thanks,

- Mark

__
Mark K. Funke, Attorney