[WSBARP] 3 story house meets 2 story CCR restriction

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 12:15:48 PDT 2018

I worked with a HOA who had to sue an owner for building a residence too tall.  Because I sent a letter to the owner during the construction phase warning him about the problem, he was not able to later enter evidence of his lack of knowledge and his financial hardship in removing the excessive height.  The court required that he remove the excessive height.  It was an expensive gamble by the owner who thought the HOA would not have the stomach for litigation and back down.

I'd go to the HOA and see if they granted a waiver of the CC&Rs.  If the Architectural Review Committee (if there is one) knowingly allowed the extra floor, your client would be on firmer footing (no pun intended).