[WSBARP] discrepancy between Property Appraiser and Property

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 09:16:44 PDT 2018

  One disadvantage to that is they would then know it was unpermitted,
and then have to disclose that as a fact rather than "don't know" on
Form 17.

I had an interesting experience with unpermitted work last year. Despite
applying for permits, the prior owner apparently never had them
finalized.  That was over 20 years ago, and the county showed no
interest in going out an inspecting the property, in part because they
wouldn't know what code provisions to apply!

In another case, an eastside city did come out an permit after the fact
some then current owner remodel work, and while some obvious plumbing
venting issues did require being addressed, they let slide some
electrical issues, such as number of outlets on a wall.

Getting back to the OP's question, those sorts of issues are more likely
to be issues for a seller in a more normal market.  For that second
situation I was critical of the appraiser using two short sales as comps
when the sale itself was not a short sale and that area had very few
short sales--so obviously a different market time.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148