[WSBARP] Effect of Disclaimer

Kate Gamble uptownlawpt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 07:45:32 PDT 2018

Unless the Will specifically provides for a predeceased beneficiary¹s gift
to go to the residue, I would think the anti-lapse statute would apply:

RCW 11.12.110:
Unless otherwise provided, when any property shall be given under a will, or
under a trust of which the decedent is a grantor and which by its terms
becomes irrevocable upon or before the grantor's death, to any issue of a
grandparent of the decedent and that issue dies before the decedent, or dies
before that issue's interest is no longer subject to a contingency, leaving
descendants who survive the decedent, those descendants shall take that
property as the predeceased issue would have done if the predeceased issue
had survived the decedent. If those descendants are all in the same degree
of kinship to the predeceased issue they shall take equally or, if of
unequal degree, then those of more remote degree shall take by
representation with respect to the predeceased issue.

In that case, the disclaimed gift would go to the son¹s issue.

Kate Gamble

Attorney at Law

Uptown Law PLLC

PO Box 835

Port Townsend, WA 98368

(360) 379-1818

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email, including any  attachments, is
confidential and subject to legal privilege.  The information contained in
this message is intended only for the use of the above named recipient.  If
dissemination, disclosure, or copying of this communication, including all
attachments, is strictly prohibited, and subject to penalty.  If you have
received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by return
email and telephone at 360-379-1818; then please destroy this original
message and all attachments.  Thank you.

SPECIAL NOTICE TO CLIENT(S): If you are a client and this email is directed
to you, DO NOT FORWARD to any other party, or you could be waiving the
attorney-client privilege. NOTE:  I do not use encrypted email.  Messages
sent to or from my office via email are not secure and may not be protected
by attorney-client privilege.