[WSBARP] Bargain sale or Gift of Community Property

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 17 13:23:36 PST 2018

I would agree with Eric about looking at the actual deed to see the
price paid for excise tax.  If Roberto cannot do that easily, he can
email me directly with an address or grantor/grantee and I could easily
look it up.

As to case-law I thought I would find something in my 30+ year-old law
school outlines, which I haven't looked at for over 10 years!  What I
was looking for wasn't there, but there is the 1910 case of Daly v.
Rizzutto involving out of state owners, and the court held that a BFP
would prevail because there would be no way of knowing that the property
was community property.  If this was for $10, then not a BFP, but if it
was for something more reasonable it's possible any CP restrictions on
transfer might disappear.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148