[WSBARP] lis pendens

John M. Riley III JMR at witherspoonkelley.com
Mon Feb 26 14:13:50 PST 2018

That is an unanswered question.

60.04.071 allows lien release upon payment and acceptance and owner or payor demand.   Sounds like you aren't there yet so I see your point.

However, 60.04.161 says explicitly that the bond guarantees payment of any judgment on the lien in favor of the lien claimant entered in any action  to recover the amount claimed in a claim of lien , or on the claim asserted in the claim of lien and the effect of recording a bond shall be to release the real property described in the notice of claim of lien from the lien and any action brought to recover the amount claimed.  So it can be asserted the bond eliminates the need for a lis pendens, whose purpose is to provide notice to the world of the claim and, secondarily,   to secure the then equity in the real property as collateral to use to  realize upon to recover the judgment amount.   Bond takes the place of the property.  I agree with the commenter who says the recording of the claim of lien serves as notice to the world.  So that purpose of the lis pendens no longer exists.  But on the issue of the bond vs the property, there is the issue of the reliability of the bond. What if the bonding company files bankruptcy or can't perform under the bond?  The statute is clear bond replaces land but bond concerns remain.

The section also says if the action to foreclose the lien is timely commenced, then on payment of any judgment entered in the action or on payment of the full amount of the bond to the holder of the judgment, whichever is less, the surety shall be discharged from liability under the bond.

Again, what happens if the bond is not performed.

Seems like once the bond is in place a  motion by your client seeking  a declaratory ruling on the issue of whether or not the lis pendens should be terminated of record should be considered.  Still leaves open the risk of attorney's fees  but a court may  be less likely to allow fees if you ask and the issue is resolved right away, so lot sales are not imperiled.

My 2 cents.

John M. Riley III
Attorney | Witherspoon * Kelley
JMR at witherspoonkelley.com<mailto:JMR at witherspoonkelley.com> | Attorney Profile <http://www.witherspoonkelley.com/john-riley-1> | vCard<http://www.witherspoonkelley.com/s/jmr.vcf>

[WK]

422 W. Riverside Ave, Ste 1100
Spokane, WA 99201
(509) 624-5265 (office)
(509) 458-2728 (fax)
witherspoonkelley.com

Confidentiality Notice: The information contained in this email and any accompanying attachment(s) is intended only for the use of the intended recipient and may be confidential and/or privileged. If any reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, unauthorized use, disclosure or copying is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete the original message and all copies from your system. Thank you.