[WSBARP] Notary rulemaking update

Bickel, Dwight Dwight.Bickel at fntg.com
Wed Feb 14 10:13:27 PST 2018

I think there are many who are confusing "electronic" with "remote." The comments about the notary being in other states, and about how electronic will increase the risk of forgery and reduce the notary's ability to determine possible duress and incompetency, relate to remote notary, not electronic notary.

Electronic becomes authorized in July. That allows the notary to use an acknowledgment certificate that is done on the computer, not on paper. We already have authority for the document to be digital, for the signature to be digital and for the recording to be done electronically (without paper). However, nothing in the present statutory change allows the notary to be in a different place than the person who must personally appear before the notary to acknowledge signing that document.

Oh, we will go there with future legislation (planned next session), but not today.
NOTICE: The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified to: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.