[WSBARP] Notary rulemaking update

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Tue Feb 13 15:31:49 PST 2018

I started a bit of discussion in a different group about remote
notaries.  Stewart is reportedly not even waiting for the new laws to
kick into effect.

Personally I don't care if banks want to accept that--it would make the
process easier and if it didn't work they should seemingly be able to
rely on their title insurer (e.g. Stewart) to pay off the amount of the
loan.  Outside of bankruptcy I'm not seeing how that would impact the
debtor, and there the impact might be positive if it allowed funds to go
to a non-dischargeable debt.  The downside might be a trustee selling a
property when they wouldn't otherwise be able to do so.  But at least on
the buyer's side the buyer should be able to control things.

My concern is more about the conveyance deed.  Title insurance might not
be able to fully compensate the buyer, and the choice to use a remote
notary would be entirely the seller's!  I'm toying with the idea of
adding a clause on my buyer contracts prohibiting the practice, but in
this market even something like that could lead to another buyer winning
out.  My best hope is that the statewide forms drafters will react.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott/KMS Renton
206 723-2148