[WSBARP] voluntary non-suit

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Fri Feb 2 15:03:34 PST 2018

I fully agree with Eric's response (copying/pasting as I'm on digest):

Bryce--So Plf filed suit, served Def, Def didn't answer or file
counterclaim but has filed a Motion to Dismiss, and now Plf wants to
voluntarily dismiss?

I assume the basis for attorney fees is the discretionary award under RCW
7.28.083<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=7.28.083>.

I think answer is no, the attorney fee issue does not go away. Under case
law, in a voluntary dismissal, the defendant is considered the prevailing
party. Defendant could effectively bring a post-dismissal motion for award
of fees. Procedurally, I think the Def could persist with the Motion by
filing a supplemental brief indicating that the issue of dismissal is moot
but the issue of award of fees is not, and still ask the court to consider
it.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen

Carmen Rowe, Attorney

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Mailing address: *1673 S. Market Blvd. #202, Chehalis, WA 98532
*Olympia/Lacey office: *1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503
*Seattle office: *1001 4th Avenue, Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98154

*We also offer virtual meeting options, and are often available to meet
with you in an alternate location convenient to you.*

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.

If we are communicating with you regarding a debt or monies owed, THIS MAY
BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, AND ANY INFORMATION WILL BE USED FOR THAT
PURPOSE. You have the right to seek legal advice from an attorney. To the
extent that the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies, this
firm is acting as a debt collector for the firm's client named above. Any
information obtained will be used for collection purposes.