[WSBARP] Looking for a CC&R Case

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Feb 1 09:26:23 PST 2018

I don't have any authority, but I think the CC&R covers the property it covers, and nothing further, as a legal matter. But as a practical matter, I agree that the inability to use that property for commercial purposes could preclude use of the other parcel for any commercial purpose that is only viable if both properties are used together.

But if there is a commercial purpose that can be achieved solely on the property not covered by the CC&R, obviously the restriction won't apply.

Example: Grocery store operates on the unrestricted lot. If they need the restricted property for parking, it won't work--a parking lot isn't residential use. But if they can operate and get all the parking onto the unrestricted lot, it works.

I wonder who has the right to enforce the restriction? Any chance for merger of interests that would extinguish the restriction?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC