[WSBARP] Alright - here's a new one for me ...

Mark Funke mark at funkelaw.com
Thu Dec 13 16:27:34 PST 2018

Andrew:

US embassy in London will notarize; I believe appointments can be set up online. That is generally how my out-of-country clients get their documents notarized.

JAG officers at US Military bases can notarize.

If you go the route of having a foreign notary notarize, you have several hoops - making sure the statute allows recording here; making sure title will underwrite; confirming whether the foreign notary will even do so, and then also whether the document needs to be Apostilled. For example, some title companies will accept Canadian notaries provided the notary is also a Canadian attorney. So it’s complicated unless you just have the embassy do it. Downside of the embassy - well, in some circumstances it has taken as long as 6 weeks to get an appointment and then everyone freaks out because  closing won’t happen in time…

Thank you,

- Mark

__
Mark K. Funke, Attorney