[WSBARP] ejectment or UL detainer

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Aug 24 10:48:47 PDT 2018

Question for y'all - RCW 59.12.030(6)<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=59.12.030> requires that the person to be evicted on a 3-day notice had to have entered onto the land without permission. If the son "entered the land" and took up occupancy with mother's permission, and then mother dies, is there any way to "re-set" the entry requirement? Is the argument that, after mother died, presumably at some point the son had to leave, even if just to go buy groceries, and at that point the sister as PR denied his right to enter?

The other method I have seen used (though I think there is argument about whether it's valid) is to convert this kind of "tenant at will" to a rent-paying tenant by serving a written demand for payment of monthly rent commencing on a date certain, and stating that continued occupancy past that date will signify acceptance of the requirement to pay rent. Assuming the son fails to pay the rent, then a 3-day notice can be given and UD is available under RCW 59.12.030(3). If he pays rent, then issue a notice to terminate the month-to-month on 20-day notice, and if he doesn't move out UD is available under RCW 59.12.030(2).

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC