[WSBARP] Tenants in Common verses Issue by Right of Representation

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Sep 15 12:34:31 PDT 2017

To make sure I have this right:

1. Wife's Will says house to Husband, but if Husband dies first, then "to C1 and C2 or their issue by right of representation." I assume Wife is mother of C1 and C2.
2. C1 dies. C1 has no issue.
3. Husband dies before Wife.
3. Wife dies.

In that case, C2 inherits the house. C1 has no issue to take by right of representation under the terms of the Will (which mirrors antilapse statute, RCW 11.12.110).

I would interpret this exact phrasing to mean a gift to C1 and C2 as a class, such that the survivor takes all, and the house would only fall out of this bequest and into a separate residue clause if both C1 and C2 died before the Wife and neither of them had any issue.

The Estate of C1 would only take 50% if C1 survived the Wife.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC